Tuesday 24 January 2012

[Insert Good Title Here]

The last 24 have been a whirlwind (more like a breeze really) of emotions. My Sunday post showed my optimism and excitement for the week ahead, especially in regards to training and running. I was still full of this enthusiasm until about 7 o clock last night when I got to the gym, as soon as I pulled on the car park I knew it would be very busy, but not quite as busy as I expected. I thought 'ah well I have new shoes' and looked down at my new shoes which I purchased earlier that day! 


I was hoping all the 'newyearsresolutioners' would have disappeared by now but by the looks of it Monday night is the best night to go. There were people waiting, almost queing, for all the machines and I just wanted to turn around and walk out but I had a 5k planned so I thought I better get on with it, when I could get on a treadmill anyway. The only machine free was the wave machine (which looks  like this!)


 I jumped on that and kept my eye open for a treadmill to become free. After about 10/15 minutes one finally did! I started with a brisk walk on the treadmill and decided to run. All of a sudden BAM! a pain in my knees that I've never felt before and not just one of my knees both of them! I couldn't understand why! I've had 2 rest days (Saturday and Sunday) where I did no exercise, although this was more due to the inability to walk down the stairs and not by choice! I managed a 3k walk/run but had to give up after that! I felt awful because I had 5k planned but was slightly consolidated by the fact that I'd been for a 3.3k walk earlier in the day!

I did a few 5 minute little exercises on the bike and the arm machine but decided it was time to go home, have a hot chocolate and feel sorry for myself, and I most certainly enjoyed my hazelnut hot chocolate in my pj's! I felt totally and utterly drained when I got home so around 10 o clock I went to bed, but was wide awake with a niggling feeling that something was wrong, like I'd failed myself. This may sound really stupid now, but it's what I felt at the time. I know its not the end of the world that I dropped 2k, especially since my 10k isn't until May.

On a more positive not I have decided a date for my first parkrun and I'm planning to do one once a month to give me some more incentive! I will (definitely) be completing a parkrun on the 11th February. Which gives me 2 and a half weeks.I will be back at uni by the so won't be able to train on a Friday so that will give me a good rest day before the race.

So yesterday I bought new running shoes and planned my first parkrun, which put me in a more positive mood for today's gym session, and I was just hoping my knees felt ok! I had some motivation but not a whole lot, I just felt a little deflated to be honest! I started running today and could feel my knees so I decided to run less distance and try and do a few sprints(ish). I ran on 10.5km/h for one minute and walked for one minutes. Once I'd gotten in to the running my knees felt fine so I ran until 5k. It was a lot easier running faster than I thought it would be. I'm not measuring my time at the moment, just trying to get the distances done. Despite A LOT of walking, I did the 5k in 40.19 minutes and burnt 352 calories.

With my poor workout yesterday, maybe not too poor, I think I'm just being to hard on myself, I burtn 458 calories. I did more today and felt like I had a better workout and burnt 674 calories. So I'm in a much better mood today and can't wait to watch the Biggest Loser later.
I have 2 classes booked at the gym for this week but may go to 3. I have completed 11.6km of my planned 22km's so I'm easily on track to get this, and maybe even beat it! We'll have to see how my legs and knees hold up!

It's weigh day tomorrow so I'll keep you updated on my weight loss progress too!

Love x

No comments:

Post a Comment