Monday 20 February 2012

Week One Day One: Longest Run!

It's time to get back on track, last week I only ran once and the week before only twice and I feel like time is slipping away quite quickly and before I know it it will be May!
A couple of weeks back I designed a 12 week 10k plan but didn't start it. I changed it to an 11 week plan today and started it.
Despite waking up full of cold with a really bad throat and a banging headache, I knew I had to go to the gym today otherwise it would be another unmotivated week and I really can't afford it. When I'm not exercising I'm not eating well either! 
On my schedule for today was: 

2KM EASY, THEN 4 X 500M FASTER, WITH 500M JOG RECOVERIES, THEN 2KM EASY = 8KM 

I knew that 8km was quite a lot for me, so I went into the gym thinking I'd do the 2km easy, 2 x 500m faster and 2x 500m jog recoveries and 1km easy, totaling 5km.

Whilst I am running I am constantly changing how far I'm going to run, where I'm going to run, when I am going to slow down, how fast I am going to go etc.

So of course I changed my 'route'.
I did the 2km easy
the 4 x 500m faster and 500m jog recoveries (with a bit of walking) and then 1km easy with a 500m cool down, equaling 7.5km

THE LONGEST I HAVE EVER RUN! 

And yes it took just under an hour because of the walking, and yes I was red hot afterwards but it really wasn't as hard as I thought! 

I was very pleased that I have got a lot closer to the 10km mark, and I didn't nearly die! The treadmill does cut out at 1 hour though so for now, I am going to aim to get 8km under the hour mark at first when I'm doing a long run. My personal best for 5km is 29 mins, so I'm hoping to get a sub 1 hour 10km. For now I need to try and get my 5k on the treadmill at 30 mins because at the moment it is usually about 39 minutes. It has always been longer on the treadmill though, I think it's because of the atmosphere of a race or a run.

Tomorrow is planned as an easy 2km run and a rest day on Wednesday but I may increase this to 5km depending on how my legs feel tomorrow. 

I will keep you updated (hopefully daily) on how I am progressing, how far I'm running and what I am doing for my cross training activities!

Love x

1 comment:

  1. Well done for getting back into the training plan. I know that everyone has a different view, and what works for one doesn't work for another, but for me treadmill running gives more scope for improvement than outdoor running. I think it's because it's easier to keep a steady pace on a mill, and for me, gradually increasing the pace is beneficial to improvement. Outdoor running is more fun though, so I guess a balance between the two might me the ideal.
    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete